Tuesday, July 7, 2015

#BoTB: July 1st results (Jersey Girl, Tom vs. Bruce)

Oh, wow. I never expected this to be so close. Cherdo's just-under-the-wire broke the 7-7 tie, putting The Boss above Mr. Waits. The tally looks like this:


Tom Waits' Jersey Girl -- Total 7
STMcC
FarawayEyes
Robin
Susan Scott
Dixie
Debbie Doglady
Cathy

Bruce Springsteen's Jersey Girl -- Total 8
Birgit
Arlee
Jeffrey Scott
Michele
Dolorah
Mike
Holli
Cherdo

Hold that cheering, Springsteen fans. I haven't voted yet.

And my vote is for Tom Waits.

Which brings us back to a tie. 8-8. What does one do in these cases, O Ye BoTB Masters?

Why Tom? Well... he does it for me. I like Bruce's version--it's, in fact, the first one I heard and fell in love with, but... There's something about that grittiness of Tom's that, one, can't be emulated, really, and two, just makes the song come alive. (For me.)

And that brings me to another thing: why I'm in love, so soon after joining, with BoTB. There's no real reason a face-off between two versions of a song should be so much fun... There's not that much to it, is there? Ah, but done like this--it's the community, for one (you bunch of wonderful people, you), and it's also something special I discovered. The living reminder that one human's poison is another's delicacy. How one person may love a version and another hate it, often for the very same reasons... It's a lesson I love, a lesson I forget too often. I think most of us do, at a subconscious level. And I think it's a lesson worth living.

Thank you, BoTB family, for welcoming me so heartily. I look forward to many, many more battles with you :)

P.S. -- If you want to hear either song--or both--again, here's the original BoTB post.

14 comments :

  1. Wow. It couldn't have been closer. Congrats on a battle Well Done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Robin! Indeed, it really was neck-to-neck the whole way.

      Delete
  2. Wow! That's a great finish for your first BOTB entry, Guilie. I think ties are allowed. This is the first one I've seen.
    It's such a welcoming group of eclectic music lovers and I was hooked from day 1 as well. Looking forward to the next one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eclectic is the word I was looking for, Debbie--that's exactly what I'm loving about BoTB. I'm looking forward to the next one, too!

      Delete
  3. Wow a tie! I think that is how it should be with this one-great BOTB. Your thoughts on this is so true

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Birgit! I feel the same about this Tom-Bruce face-off... They both have merit, and a tie makes me feel like I did them justice :)

      Delete
  4. A tie, is a tie. No problem. It's my personal opinion that the closer the BATTLE the better your choices in the match up. When you have a shut out (some BOTBers really dread them; me I've had a few) or even a blow out (where one contender gets maybe two or three votes) that you know it was pretty one sided (Duh!). But the close races or even the ties, well you done good. AND, it's only your first time out.

    Glad to hear you're having so much fun and enjoying BOTB. See you again on the 15th.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Faraway! I didn't know if a tie was good or bad... Whew :) Thank you for hosting; it's a great thing you and Stephen are doing here, and I'm glad to be a part of it.

      Delete
  5. I agree, there's just something to the BOTB feature that's endearing and enchanting. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, Jeffrey. And I can't really put my finger on it... Just like with a great song that you love but can't really say why--it's not only the lyrics, not just the harmony, not even the memories, or the voice or a special riff. It's all of that, and more than that :)

      Delete
  6. Thanks for details of results Guilie! Tense tense tense ... more fun coming up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahaha... indeed, Susan :) Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  7. Ha! A tie is the sign of a really well put together BOTB installment, and to have a tie with your VERY FIRST 'BOTB'... well, methinks you've found your calling (or one of them, anyway).

    ~ D-FensDogG
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! You've made me a happy woman today, Stephen :) Like I said above to Faraway, thank you so much for hosting this and for keeping it going... It's a great, great thing to have in the blogosphere :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...